Most Popular Post

Wednesday 3 February 2016

Winter Shadows

Yesterday was Groundhog Day and we waited to see if the rodent saw its shadow. Then the groundhog which forecasts for eastern Canada did not see his shadow, so we will have an early spring, or so folklore assures us. These ceremonies attract many people to the communities where they occur, providing an economic boost in the dead of winter. While thousands waited for the groundhogs' predictions, we took a walk again by the bay in Prince Edward Island, on that beautiful winter day. This time of year, the environment and the animals create an inspiring combination, the appearance of which changes every day. In spite of the groundhog's predictions, yesterday, the shadows here were striking.



The bare trees against the winter blue sky and the light, 



shaded or peeking through in places, 



create a glorious scene. I love this play of light



 and stop numerous times just to capture the moments.



 Of course this suits my injured knee just fine.



With my husband, as well as the cold air, brilliant sun, snow, blue sky, frozen sea, boardwalk, trees, and the shadows, it was a great winter experience. One day, a cup of tea whilst sat on the bench would be perfect.


I wonder, what happens when the squirrel sees its shadow?


13 comments:

ADRIAN said...

It does look a grand place to wander.

Tomoko said...

I studied about" Groundhog Day" in my English text book 3 years ago. I liked to lean that groundhog predicts spring come early or not after his long hibernation! It has been cold here, but I hear flower stepping here and there. Have a good day.

DJan said...

I too love those long shadows on the snow. The wonderful thing about Groundhog Day is that now every day will bring us closer to spring. We are now more than halfway there! :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey, did you watch Murdoch Mysteries this week? Lucy Maud Montgomery made an appearance as one of the characters.

Anvilcloud said...

You have more snow than we do at the moment, but I guess that is not unusual. We are almost snowless here where we haven't dumped snow when clearing. In 10 years here in Ottawa, I haven't seen the like. It's not all gone but close to that.

Marie Smith said...

It looks different every day too.

Marie Smith said...

We are a few months from flowers here, Tomoko.

Marie Smith said...

I know, Jan. Isn't it great?

Marie Smith said...

I saw it and am going to watch again. Maureen Jennings visited the city libraries in PEI last July and mentioned the episode featuring LM Montgomery and George. I love the reflection of Canadian history in that program.

Marie Smith said...

It's nice to get a break from the snowy winters we normally have, isn't it?

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

No groundhogs over here but I do know that the word "squirrel" comes from the Greek "skiouros" which means "he who shelters in the shadow of his tail".

Marie Smith said...

How interesting. Thank you for the information, John.

Ginnie Hart said...

That is exactly the kind of walk I would LOVE, Marie...if only we had S N O W. Actually, I'd love it even without snow! :)